I learn a lot in a normal week. I’m at work all day, I teach class most evenings and I spend my free time socializing with intelligent people and watching or reading things that are interesting and stimulating. None of this compares to the stream of knowledge that I can potentially get from one day hanging out in your wonderful world, Twitter.
I was slow to jump on the Twitter bandwagon. I’m really disappointed that I missed tweeting during the election (oh, how I would have love to read the tweets about Sarah Palin…). But, now that I’m immersed in the Twitter world, I must admit I’ve been hooked. The concept itself is very simple. Answer the question “What are you doing?” in 140 characters or less. But the Twitter community has turned it in to so much more. The information that flows through there is insane. News stories are discussed before national mainstream media outlets have a chance to write their copy. Amber alerts are tweeted and re-tweeted. It’s amazing.
The best thing about you, Twitter, is the different kinds of people I can follow:
- my friends
- “experts” in fields I’m interested in
- news sources
- fictional characters
So, Twitter, here’s a list of what I learned from you today that I couldn’t possibly have learned elsewhere (well, probably not).
- Ashton Kutcher had a meeting with Tyra Banks
- Bob makes awesome cartoons that are funny.
- Wil Wheaton drinks coffee with the girl from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
- People will excessively over share- especially when it’s anonymous.
- Neil Gaiman will NOT be redoing Muppet Babies
- Chris Hardwick has a genius Lost idea.
- My friend Ava speaks French!
- Even Girl Scouts are suffering in this economy.
- Life is good. It's true.
- FYI, Demi Moore got her hair trimmed.
- Shakespeare is still relevant.
Thanks, Twitterverse. I learned a lot today.